Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Practice makes...perfect???

"I feel the issue is that every Christian should be intellectual, whether their faith is simple or not. We have our mental faculties for a reason, and in many ways, thinking well and deeply just requires practice, which I feel the church is lacking the opportunities for. In addition, I am not saying simply that the sermons alone should be deeper, but rather every encounter in our faith."

I would by no means consider myself to be an intellectual, at least not on par with the author of the above statement nor those with whom he has been interacting. I do, however, agree with what he has said. While his first and third points are addressed on his site in some depth, I would like to share my thoughts on his second point: "thinking well and deeply just requires practice".

About 4-5 years ago when I found myself listening to challenging and sometimes controversial debates I would listen in hopes of learning just a little bit more, but believing that I would never be capable of contributing to such a discussion. Almost 2 years ago something happened to me that allowed me to begin thinking well. I don't know what it was exactly, but I remember the moment when I was sitting in class and my mind was physically in pain, so much so that I almost walked out of class. From that moment on I have described it with the words, "I felt the way I think changing." I don't know if it was because I was around more people who thought well or if it was because I was somewhat "forced" through my schooling to practice thinking well or if it was just my time, but it happened. I was not the only one who noticed it either. I remember shortly after there were two teachers (and another since then), whom I greatly respect, who talked to me after reading my papers, saying that they really noticed a positive difference in my writing.

While challenging thoughts have intrigued me over the last 5 years I used to shy away from them, but then as I had a couple close friends guiding me and teaching me to not not do something just because it scares me, I began to seek out these challenging conversations and to really pay attention to what was being said. And now, as I continue to read and hear challenging thoughts I have a greater desire to think well and even more deeply and to share my thoughts (though still cautiously) with those I interact with, and even here on this blog.

No comments: