Saturday, September 20, 2008

Grandma

I love my grandma. She will be 85 tomorrow, but we celebrated her birthday today. It is getting harder and harder to visit her because she is feeling the effects of old age in both her physical health and her mental health. We still have normal conversations and we still play card games and Scrabble, but she is starting to really struggle with these things she has done her whole life. It is very hard to watch because she and my mom and I are so much alike, so it's like seeing where I could be at in 50 some odd years. And it is hard because she is the only grandparent I have ever really had. When I was driving her home tonight she said the family needs to start taking things from her place because she won't always be around for that stuff and she wants to know where her things end up. While I know she won't always be around, that is something I don't like to think about. When I do think about it, my eyes start to well up. I love my grandma very much and I am so thankful for the time we've been able to spend together over the years.

No comments: