Saturday, December 15, 2012

Children and Violence

22 children and 1 adult injured in knife attack at primary school gate in China's Henan province - state mediahttp://t.co/OgyFLCGN
Police in Newtown: "20 children, six adults and gunman killed at school, another dead at second scene"
http://t.co/IS9R6v0P

With these two tragedies that happened yesterday my heart continues to break for this world, and I continue to be stirred to action. For better or for worse the current action I am taking is more schooling, starting with the Social Services field. What I realized this morning, however, is that I need to educate myself on more current events, laws, policies, organizations, etc.

I decided to start with the United Nations. I went to www.un.org (English) and did a search for "children". There were many stories that came up (about 193,000) and on the right-hand side were the following options to narrow my search:



Sadly, this list did not surprise me. The reason I returned to my studies in the Social Services area was to get involved in stopping and preventing the use of child soldiers. I have since broadened my sights to human trafficking in general, but hearing these stories and reading this list increases my desire to help children. As difficult as it will be, I look forward to learning more and getting involved.

No comments: