Thursday, June 16, 2005

Some people were talking at work last night about volunteering at places that help the homeless, etc. But they were saying how that a certain Christian place won't take non-Christian volunteers. I just sat there quietly, not knowing what I thought about it and not knowing what to say. The more I thought about it, however, the clearer things became to me. While I understand this organization's reasoning (they want the people they help to understand they are being helped by God, and the people who volunteer there can point the people in the right direction). But the fact that this place (and probably others) is turning away volunteers because they are not Christians leaves those turned down with another reason to not want anything to do with Christianity. If non-Christian volunteers are able to work with the Christian volunteers, perhaps each "side" will be able to better understand the other. The non-Christians may or may not accept Christ, but the Christian volunteers will be pushed in finding out just how real their faith is to them. Why should we stop non-Christians from helping others? What is our reason behind helping other people? I say "we" and "our" because these people are my family in Christ. I do not like the reputation this family is getting because of the actions of certain members in it. There are some times when it is right to be rejected because of our faith, but this situation is not one of those times!

No comments: