Saturday, January 29, 2005

I've been thinking recently that Christianity has become too unspiritual these days. I was sitting in chapel yesterday and something came to me, so I figured I'd write about it.


I was wondering why there are so many people, including myself, don't worship God the way they want to when other people are around (this time meaning mostly during an actual service, though it definitely includes any time we don't use the gifts God has given us when we know we're supposed to). I came to the conclusion that, for myself, it is because I am so often afraid of what people will think. There's always a difficulty in trying to find a balance in the way we live. There have been enough people who have been fake while attempting to be spiritual because they are trying too hard. I have been trying to avoid being fake in the "overly spiritual" sense, but I have lost sight of the balance and have not been doing everything that God asks of me. The Pharisees were confronted with having the right outward acts, but not the right heart. We are to have both. They were being fake because their hearts were not in the right place. I do not even have all the right outward behavior that I am being convicted of in my heart. I have thought that my heart was fairly good, but the fact that I do not do what God is asking me to do makes me think differently about that.


Through conversations with a few people, I have become aware, again, of who God is asking me to be and what He is asking me to do. The key word for both of these is love. And I have been convicted yet again for not being completely real in my worship of God in chapel services. There is this one guy who does not hold back when he worships God. At first I was a little freaked out...especially when he was worshiping the same way at church where that kind of worshiping almost seems taboo. But the more it happened and the more I have thought about it, the more I admire his lack of concern for what other people think about how he worships God. He only seems to be concerned with what God thinks. When I see him worship God, I am intrigued. There is something different about him. I want that something. This is what is supposed to happen to non-Christians when they are around Christians. There is supposed to be that something that is mysterious that draws them in. I don't want to be spiritually fake in either direction. I just want to be in continual submission to God.

No comments: