Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I am disgusted by the junk email that is going around these days! I feel like I want to throw-up every time I read the subject lines! Why are we so permeated with images and words of sex/lust? Why has something (sex) that was created to be good become so twisted and perverse? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to get away from it! TV, movies, music, internet, conversations, jokes, pictures, magazines, school, work places...I am revolted by the words and images that seem to penetrate into every area of life.
I don't know how God can be who He is. He hates sin, but He loves us. It seems like we are living in the world before the Flood, or in places like Sodom and Gomorrah or the church in Corinth. I do not have the mercy God has. If I were God I would not have made that covenant with Noah and I would probably wipe out the earth (with the exception of the few who are faithful). So it is good that I am not God and that God is who He is. He is loving, merciful, compassionate, graceful, etc. But while He is these things, He is also our judge. Psalms 73 and 37 give me hope in this aspect of life...as do other passages of Scripture.
How can I think the "turn or burn" message while I still have sin in my life? I know that I am covered by the blood of Christ and that there is no longer condemnation for me, but I need to realize that "love covers over a multitude of sins" (1 Pet. 4:8) and that "God is love" (1 John 4:8, 16) and, therefore, God covers over a multitude of sins. And this He did by sending His Son to die on the cross, even though He was without sin. I don't know if I will ever truly understand the depth of love involved in this...I doubt it. But I do know that His love has captivated me and that I will be forever thankful.

1 comment:

theDING said...

To borrow a common phrase...

"Sin happens"

It shouldn't happen to us, but we cannot really prevent it happening in the rest of the world; they just don't know any better. This is because only through Christ will we recieve total freedom - the freedom to do what is right!

We need to set ourselves apart as living sacrifices, true, but that doesn't mean that we are perfect right away, it is a process that will not be completed until eternity. And to top it off, Hebrews tells us that we are to "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy, because without holiness, no one will see the LORD."

So take courage and be holy!

And don't think "turn or burn", think more along the lines of "accept grace or wither". If we fail to accept God's grace for us, then we will go nowhere in life. As for "turn or burn", God's grace is a stench to those that are perishing, we just need to continue to be a light to them, so that they do not whither away at the end of this life.

Stick with it...we're all in this together!