Friday, January 27, 2006

"They say evil prevails when good men don't act. They should say evil prevails." - Nicolas Cage Lord of War

We watched 3 movies yesterday. The first one (10 Things I Hate About You) I have seen many times and will likely never grow tired of. The second one (Lord of War) was very thought provoking, breaking through my worldview. The third one (Two for the Money) started out good and ended even better.

As for the quote at the beginning of this post, when I first heard it I thought the second part said "They also say evil prevails." When I hear this, my thought was: ~hm, ya, good men don't act enough.~ When I found out what it actually said, my thought was: ~Ya, it is easy to see why people would think that. When we see and hear about so much evil happening in this world it is easy to become overwhelmed and discouraged by it. But when we truly look at the bigger picture, when we look at the truth, we can be certain that evil does not prevail, but that God is just and will punish the wicked in His good timing. As difficult as it is to see this truth, I do not doubt it. The first time I read Psalm 73:1-17 my whole being grasped this truth, and this is something that will never be shaken in me.

2 comments:

theDING said...

Ya know, "evil prevails" might not be as far off the mark as you might think.

I mean, just look around us, there is poverty, war, extortion, famine, abuse - you name it, it's happening.

However, it all depends on your perspective...

If you look at the good things in life - the fact that people are alive, the fact that people are helping others and the idea that the judgment of evil will come one day, then you could say that "good prevails".

Notice how I didn't say that "good men prevail". This is for the simple fact that within this sinful, temporal sphere, there will always be evil, so good men will never truly prevail - there will always be evil in this present world.

However, I don't think that "evil prevails" either because no matter what happens, you can't get away from good either.

I mean, what is evil except for being twisted good?

Coralou said...

Quite a few years ago I had a dream in which God had planted my feet on the edge of a Roman colliseum while hundreds of people were running around me in terror. I could not physically lift my feet to run, nor could I move at all. Instead I was overwhelmed with His silent voice booming, "The Lord will prevail." Ever since that has been a source of peace for me, to stop and remember to not be afraid, because God is truly in charge.