Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sorry this is so long. I tried to post it on another site, but could not. I don't want to lose it, so I figured I'd post it here.

Well, this is the second time I have worked on this, so we shall see what happens. Hopefully a bunch of this won't get deleted again. (Ha Ha! It deleted the whole thing this time, but I learned my lesson and copied it before doing anything! Third time's a charm???).

I know I was supposed to have been working on looking at myself, but that hasn't been going so well. Thankfully God has been gracious enough to give me a topic to focus on, which will inevitably make me take an honest look at my life: Pride. I hate pride! It is a form of self-protection that deceives even ourselves. It is the battle of all battles. It goes right to the core of each of us. Pride was the cause of the fall of man and continues to be the barrier between us and God.

It is late and I am tired, so I am just going to leave you with this list of some verses that deal with pride and humility. Please note that I have narrowed this list down to 23 from 177. Some of these I will edit at a later time so as to include my thoughts on some of these verses and my reason for using them.

2 Kings 22:19
Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the LORD when you heard what I have spoken against this place and its people, that they would become accursed and laid waste, and because you tore your robes and wept in my presence, I have heard you, declares the LORD.

2 Chronicles 7:14
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

2 Chronicles 12:7
When the LORD saw that they humbled themselves, this word of the LORD came to Shemaiah: "Since they have humbled themselves, I will not destroy them but will soon give them deliverance. My wrath will not be poured out on Jerusalem through Shishak.

2 Chronicles 26:16
But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the LORD his God, and entered the temple of the LORD to burn incense on the altar of incense.

2 Chronicles 34:27
Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before God when you heard what he spoke against this place and its people, and because you humbled yourself before me and tore your robes and wept in my presence, I have heard you, declares the LORD.

Psalm 10:4
In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.

Psalm 25:9
He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way.

Psalm 101:5
Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret, him will I put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure.

Proverbs 8:13
To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.

Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

Proverbs 13:10
Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.

Isaiah 13:11
I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins. I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless.

Jeremiah 13:17
But if you do not listen, I will weep in secret because of your pride; my eyes will weep bitterly, overflowing with tears, because the LORD's flock will be taken captive.

Jeremiah 49:16
The terror you inspire and the pride of your heart have deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks, who occupy the heights of the hill. Though you build your nest as high as the eagle's, from there I will bring you down," declares the LORD.

Daniel 10:12
Then he continued, "Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them.

Hosea 13:6
When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me.

Matthew 23:12
For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Romans 12:16
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. [ Or willing to do menial work] Do not be conceited.

1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Philippians 2
[ Imitating Christ's Humility ]

Philippians 2:3
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

No comments: