Friday, May 26, 2006

"I don't want to get my hopes up..."

While visiting Edmonton (GO OILERS GO!!!) this weekend I had the opportunity to find my way to a mall via transit. While on one of these lovely modes of transportation I overheard the above phrase which has lingered in my mind for the past couple days. Right away I knew I wanted to blog about it.

So what is it about this phrase that has caused me to ponder it as more than just a passing comment like I usually do? I guess it opened my eyes in a new way to the attitude of fear that seems to consume so many people. (I think there's more to it than that, but hopefully that will come out as I continue typing). We don't want to get our hopes up because we are afraid of being disappointed, afraid of having broken hearts. While this is understandable, as these feelings are painful and emotionally and physically draining, we cannot let this stop us from getting our hopes up, for when we truly get our hopes up it is because we really believe in the possibility and we are passionate about it.

And while it's important to keep each other accountable to living in reality, we also need to encourage one another to pursue our dreams. We don't do each other any good to say, "Don't get your hopes up." While we mostly say this to try to save each other from disappointment and heartache, I believe it subtly encourages apathy in those who hear it and in those who say it.

(And now comes the Devil's Advocate conversation running through my mind that usually stops me from sharing my thoughts)...

I was going to say that we need to keep each other accountable with our dreams by discussing the positives and negatives of them, asking the person to make sure they still want to follow this dream, then support them in any way we can to reach that dream.

As I thought about typing that, however, I had another thought run through my mind about how someone could decide that they still wanted to follow their dream even if the negatives out-weighed the positives, even if it would lead them to sin. If this was the case, I guess once they make the decision to follow through on their dream, that is when we need to let them know that we cannot support them while they continue on this path.

Regardless of which approach we take, based on which path they take, it is important that we be there for them even when the results are in. If they succeed in following their positive dream, we should celebrate with them and continue to encourage and support them. If they fail in either their positive or negative dream, we need to continue to love them, giving them an ear that will listen and a shoulder to cry on if it is needed.

(Bah, here we go again)...

If the person succeeds in their negative dream, this is where I do not know what to do. Do we leave them to themselves, knowing they will one day reap the consequences of what they have sown? Do we just look past it, staying in their life hoping they won't follow a similar path any time soon?

(Wow...not where I thought this was going)...

So they messed up. So what? We have all sinned. We have all needed love and forgiveness. Even if they don't want forgiveness for what they have done, is it still our responsibility to forgive them? And even if we do forgive them, that doesn't mean that we have to continue to stick with them, does it? Where are the boundaries for love? Are there any? To love 3 people doesn't mean you treat them the same way. People need to be loved in different ways. One person may need to be yelled at to make positive changes in their life, while another person might need to be talked to calmly, while still another person may need to be ignored to realize that they need to make a change.

I need to stop now before I change direction again. Thanks for your patience in reading all of this. I hope it made sense.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

It seems like every where I turn, every blog I read there's something there that I needed to hear at that time. Your blog was one of them. Thank you for your thoughts, something for me to ponder for days to come

Scott said...

I know it is way off the mark of your post, but have you ever wondered about sinning dreams? I mean, if you sin in your dreams do you need to repent when you wake up?

doxasky said...

Hm...Scott, I have not thought about that, but it brings up a very interesting point. I don't think you would need to repent for sinning dreams, but I do think that you need to ask God to free you from those images and to guide your dreams. But that's just a quick off the top of my head answer. What do you think? Anyone else?

theDING said...

Ah, dreams, visions, aspirations (lend me your ears...); they are all amazing things that stem from the innate curiosity and personhood that God gave us - we need to make an impact. When God designed us to "Be fruitful and multiply" and "Fill the earth and subdue it" that these were parts of what he gave us.

Honestly, if we tried to think of everything that we have just the way that it is now, then not only will we be stuck in a rut that can be affectionately referred to as "the present", but there is no impetus for change.

These tools that God has given us, I would even venture to say, are outworkings of our faith; our need to believe in *something* and to have the "evidence of the things we cannot see".

Unfortunately, like everything else that is part of the human experience, our dreams and visions have been twisted by our fall. (Heck, even the logic that tells us as individuals the difference between "positive" and "negative" has been messed up.)

In my opinion, that very faith that causes us to see our dreams, hopes and visions for the future is the same faith that we need to use to trust God when other people mess up. Have faith that God will impart in us the wisdom on if and when to intervene, the prudence to stand up for ourselves and not follow the same path and the perseverance to continuing to dance with our Father on this journey that is our life.

Thanks for making me think dox, hope it helps.

theDING

Anonymous said...

I like how it all comes back to love. The mysterious, fragile yet unbreakable love. Love means support and I think that even if you don't agree with someone who succeeds in their negative dreams you can still love them.

Classic example: Jesus. He visited taxcollectors, pimps and prostitues, all who were successful in their sinful ways. Yet that didn't stop him from going to them and helping them.

And maybe the person doesn't want help but what they will reconize is the love. Everyone knows love, its absence or its presence.

Good entry... I think you've been hanging arounf me too much :P

Sarah